Monday 15 December 2008

West Ham Warriors, or Why men are strange creatures

Yesterday I braved the cold and damp weather and took my usual seat in the Lower West Stand at Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea yet again fail to win at home. I was absolutely freezing despite layers of clothing and was amazed to see across the pitch in the away supporters corner, four West Ham supporters naked to the waist. I presume they had pulled their shirts off to celebrate their team scoring the first goal (although it is possible they had been semi-naked since kick off and I had not spotted them until then). Anyway they stood there, like four neanderthal warriors, separated from their bear skins, on their feet leaning over the barrier, all through the match, seemingly oblivous to the cold.

I am still at a loss to understand what it is that persuades men (and it is always men it seems!) to do something that is so obviously against their own interests. Yes, there was doubtless a plentiful supply of alcohol coursing through their veins, but there was a pint and a half in mine and it didn't stop me shivering through my thermal vest, t shirt, sweater and heavy fleecy lined jacket. It must have been excruciating. To choose pain in that way seems so masochistic as to be borderline insane. Maybe it was one of those heat of the moment things - one whipped his jacket and shirt off, the others followed suit and then a macho 'if-you-can-do-it-then-so-can-I' standoff took place for the rest of the ninety minutes?

This would never happen with women. We'd look pityingly at whoever was mad enough to do something like this and let them get on with it from the comfort of our designer thermals. I am not including here Geordie women, whose standard Friday night midwinter outdoor attire involves bare legs, bare arms, white shoes and lots of exposed bosom - they are in a class of their own and it's definitely genetic. Whilst the majority of Manchester United supporters are renowned for coming from the home counties ("You only live round the corner!" being a favourite Chelsea chant when we host them), I was not aware that West Ham had a niche following of northern lads. I thought. like us at Chelsea,they were a bunch of southern softies! These four WestHam guys looked they were participating in a public audition for Braveheart II.

Anyway they provided the only entertainment for me to lighten the loss of another two points squandered at home. Zola, la lo lala Zola.

No comments: